Monday, February 14, 2011

Привет Россия, родина моя

The title of this post is a song that came on my ipod as I walked into my apartment building the other day. It translates "Hello Russia, my motherland". Seemed appropriate for a photo blog post.

The current outside temperature in St. Petersburg is -23˚C (-9˚F) and it's supposed to remain like that for the rest of the week. It's so cold that when I go outside, my breath freezes on the scarf over my mouth and creates a frost layer on it.  I'm fairly sure that this is why there were so many people on the metro this morning. When I got off at my stop there was a sea of people heading toward me going the opposite direction on the platform. As I bounced between the shoulders of strangers, a salmon swimming upstream, I felt the true meaning of "народ", the Russian word that's usually translated as "people" or "folk" but can also mean "nation" (as in nationality).

This is just a short post, I've got to get back to homework, but I wanted to upload some pictures of my neighborhood here. There are also a few of the metro, which I took on the sly (it's illegal to take photos in the metro in Russia) so they're pretty blurry but will still give you an idea of what it all looks like.



Believe it or not, there's a car in that snowbank

The local grocery store


Part of the platform of the station near the university
On the platform of my metro station

No comments:

Post a Comment