Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sasha 3

I have been thus dubbed by my fellow ACTR students, as there are 2 other Sashas who are Academic year students.  As much as I complain at home about there being too many Alexes (Alexs? how does that pularize?) being in Russia takes the commonality of the names Alexandra and Alexander to a whole new level.

A breif list of the Sashas I've met (besides myself, of course): my host mom, the other 2 in the abroad program, my peer tutor's boyfriend, the guy who sold me my cell phone, several waiters, a main character of my favorite Russian tv program and innumerable other people who pass me on the street.

There really isn't a good comparison to make in the US, as most names in English aren't gender-neutral.  Katherine for girls is popular, but there are plenty of Екатеринаs here as well.  Michael for boys? but it's not gender-neutral and Michelle is not nearly as popular in the States as Alexandra is here.

In any case, you get the point. The most frustrating thing for me about all this is that I decided recently to ask people at home (not my family, they're already too used to "Alex") to call me "Sasha", as it's a less common nickname in the States.  Plus, I like it.  But now, with the legions of Sashas in Russia, I've again become a number.

Oh well, such is the life of Alexandras everywhere.

Until next time, Sasha 3

No comments:

Post a Comment