Friday, May 6, 2011

A promise of more to come

Dear readers of this blog,

First, let me apologize for not updating in almost a month. A ton has happened in the interim and I've been so busy that the time-consuming blog posts have fallen by the way side, as it were.

I have 2 posts I'm currently working on, one about the Dostoevsky tour I went on a few weeks ago, and the other about the trip my abroad program took to Rostov-on-Don (Ростов-на дону), Taganrog (birthplace of A.Chekhov), and Sochi (site of 2014 Olympics).

So let this brief post serve as a promise to tell you all about all of that as soon as I can.

More recent random news:
  • was punched by a woman on the metro as we vied for a seat
  • bought several books including children's lit by L.N. Tolstoy and A.S. Pushkin and several grammar references (14 books for less than 2000 rubles)
  • successfully found housing for the summer and have received a budget from my university
  • survived 88 hours in a Russian train (3 separate journeys)
  • glimpsed Asia but was too lazy to walk over the bridge
  • danced with Cossacks
  • drank mead (yes, like they did in the Middle Ages--though we didn't have any goblets)
  • had tea with host grandmother and 5 of her school friends
  • learning more about the blockade of Leningrad and realizing how little we're taught in the US about Russia's role/losses in WWII
  • will try to make it downtown for the parade on Monday (VE day)

No comments:

Post a Comment